See the detailed description and if interested, fill out the online application below:
The First Friday event is a community event in Downtown Lakeland. Streets are closed and businesses and organizations from around the community set up displays and activities to educate and entertain. Downtown businesses stay open late for shopping and dining.
In order to maintain a safe and orderly transition of our streets from vehicle centric to pedestrian friendly, the event will employ staff to clear the streets, direct the public, assist city staff in street closure, and monitor the perimeter of the events.
Event staff needs to be a person who:
- Can stand for several hours at a time – often in direct sun
- Walk several city blocks at a time
- Lift and/or carry 40 lbs. at a time
- Possesses a friendly attitude
- Can provide excellent customer service to the public, First Friday participants and city staff
- Has great communication skills
- Is at least 16 years old, 17 & up preferred.
General Job Description:
Contract staff position (1099 employee, covered by workers comp)
Hours: 2:30pm-9:30pm (includes break times)
- Safety reflective vest and/or Staff Tshirt
- Workman’s Apron
- Appropriate Paperwork
- Water throughout shift
Staff should wear comfortable shoes, jean/kahaki /solid colored shorts or pants, sunglasses, hat, etc. to protect from the sun as needed.
Detailed Job Description:
Each staff person is assigned to a different city block to do the following:
Approach parking cars in a friendly way and inform the drivers that the parking spaces must be vacated by 3pm. Provide them with alternative parking information (provided to you).
- Cone spaces as they are vacated in the block you are assigned. Continue to direct the public where to park since on street spaces are not available.
- Move cones for exhibitors who are unloading their materials. Help direct exhibitors to their designated spaces as needed.
- Monitor exhibitor set-ups. Contact event management as needed.
- Assist city staff as requested to move barricades into position from the sidewalk to the street.
- Monitor the barricades, letting in only those who are identified as exhibitors. Help direct exhibitors to their designated spaces as needed.
- Take attendance of exhibitors in your block using the form on the clipboard. Turn in attendance sheet to event management and report any issues.
- Other duties as assigned
- Take breaks, get some dinner, have a seat.
- Put all cones in zone in stacks on the designated corner.
- Monitor the barricades, letting in only those who are identified as exhibitors to pack up their things.
- Continue to direct the public where to park since on street spaces are not available.